This morning I was surprised to see how large the moth was, about 4" x 2.5" prompting Zayne to name him Giant. I loved the designs on Giant. http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/ helped us identify the little guy as Antheraea Polyphemus, from the silkworm family. The site was informative and we learned a few things about Mr. Antheraea Polyphemus, which I won't bore you with. However, I will tell you that the lepidopterists that run the site did not have our Giant living in our county, so we email them about our sighting and attached a picture. We are all excited to hear back from them.
Giant stayed outside where we laid him all day long, never moving a centimeter. We were thrilled to discover that our little night creature flew away after sunset.
Update:
The lepidopterists over our area responded and has added Zayne's moth to the data base. Zayne is thrilled with the honor of finding the first Antheraea Polyphemus in Central Virginia.
Giant ate up his casing after hatching. These are the leaves left that surrounded the chrysalis. We found out that these guys do not eat as adults and mate within an hour after hatching. Most likely, Giant will not have any descendants since he spent his first night in Zayne's bedroom.

2 comments:
Hi Heather! Thanks for sending the link to your blog - I am really enjoying it! Especially seeing how grown-up your kids are! Holy cow!
I got your facebook message last week, but I never seem to be on facebook anymore, so I thought I'd post a comment here.
That moth is quite amazing and huge and beautiful. What a great learning experience for your kids as well. So cool.
So, when you get a spare second, you can check out what's happening with us at www.stewartopia.blogspot.com
Good to hear from you! :)
Man that is a cool story! Maybe Giant will fly to Haymarket...I will be on the lookout.
Post a Comment