Thursday, April 3, 2008

Heather cooks?

Yes, this is a recipe. Some of you might be surprised to see this even here for you know that I am not a cook nor a baker. I do not not like recipe exchanges nor do I try other people's recipes for "something new," BUT, this soup tastes so fabulous, it changed they way I viewed my soup ingredients. My family loved it. Joshi said that it is the best soup that she ever tasted and wants to learn how to cook it. She had a friend over and she also wants the recipe to make at her house. Its so yummy.

Mulligatawny Soup:
prep time: 30 - 40 minutes
serves: 4

This soup is to include everything in the vegetable bin, so use the recipe as a starting point.
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 celery stack, chopped
2 medium sized carrots, sliced
1 medium sized zucchini, chopped
1 large apple, chopped
3 T olive oil
1 T tapioca flour
1/4 t thyme
1 t curry powder
4 cups chicken broth
1 bay leaf
1 t lemon zest
1 cup cooked chicken
1/2 soy milk (I used rice milk).
1/2 t fresh ground pepper
salt, if desired

In a large stockpot, saute the veggies and apple in oil for 8 - 10 minutes, or until tender. Stir in tapioca flour, thyme, and curry powder. Cook for 1 - 2 minutes.

Add chicken broth, bay leaf, and lemon zest and simmer for another 12 - 15 minutes. Add the cooked chicken, soy milk and freshly ground pepper. Heat through. Season with salt if desired.

No comments: