I would like to thank our Senator Jeff Merkley for inspiring me to become a more politically involved citizen. Like many citizens I would passively follow the activities of our government, call my representatives only if I was extremely against certain legislation, or yell at my TV while watching the news, but mostly the later. After the August La Grande town hall meeting it became apparent that Senator Merkley was going to vote in favor of nationalized health care, as well as the Waxman- Markey bill, (Cap and Trade), regardless of his constituent’s arguments against them. Due credit needs to be given to him for listening politely and patiently to his constituent’s comments and questions, yet, I left feeling frustrated and helpless to halt some of these drastic changes to our free economy and our personal sovereignty. I am a nobody in the world of politics. I have don’t have powerful connections or deep pockets to have any pull whatsoever. Nor am I an intellectual, a good writer or an orator to be persuasive in those venues. What can little ol’ me do alone? I know that I am not alone in feeling that way. Two days after the town hall meeting I was online trying to learn about the varying issues when I came across the Tax Payers March on Washington D.C. which took place last Saturday. I felt compelled to go. I could go and be one more body to stand and show our joint opposition to the ever increasing size and reach of government, ridiculous spending and most of all our representatives ignoring “We the People.”
What happened on 9.12 was amazing. There assembled the largest gathering of people calling for government fiscal responsibility in the nation’s capital. I heard someone refer to this crowd as the sleeping giant that had awoken. I lived in the D.C. area for four years and I had never seen so many “normal” people there. Home-town USA had come to Washington and were demanding to have their voices heard. Marching up Pennsylvania Avenue to the capital were neighbors, grandparents, and the workers of our country who do the 9-5 to put food on the table, of all races; just everyday folk. These were people that personally sacrificed money and time away from work and family to be there. They were not extreme or angry. On the contrary, I have never seen such a well behaved, massive crowd. People were polite and friendly with one another. Everyone respected the police’s request to stay off the mall, so people had to gather on the side streets around the capital and mall. They even took care of most of their trash which is remarkable. Smiles abounded everywhere as they realized that there were hundreds of thousands of people that cared for their country the way that they did. I did not see any radical elements to this crowd. One attendee near the back told me that she saw a few disrespectful, far- reaching groups who were “conveniently” located near the media cameras.
Now for exercising our freedom of speech we are called ignorant and racist. I agree that we all should have stood up years ago, and I can respect some of the opposing points of views, but accusing citizens of racism because they disagree with a president who happens to be black is not only lazy and slanderous, but it is a devious attempt to change the focus from the real issue. Such an accusation used frivolously cheapens its use for when it is actually needed, for racism does still exist. It also pushes back the ground that was gained by men and women, both black and white, in this country who fought real racism with their feet by marching peacefully and those that bleed and died in a civil war for freedom. Our nation should be beyond this subject but there are those people that keep pointing out our differences when those differences shouldn’t matter. Martin Luther King instructed us not to judge another man by any other means than “by the content of his character.” The majority of Americans were raise with this ringing in their ears and hearts. Yet, it looks like some haven’t learned this lesson. Besides, the march last week was not an anti-Obama rally but rather a cry for stopping big government and representatives not listening to “We the People.”
Despite the false portrayals of the purposes and numbers of marchers, the 9.12er’s message sent to Republicans and Democrats is clear that we want less government and more freedom.
1 day ago

1 comment:
What an awesome experience. Thanks for writing about it and setting the record straight.
Post a Comment