Thursday, August 7, 2008

small town life



Yes, I am loving the small town life. I love walking or biking everywhere. I love that everyone is friendly. Haven't met a grouchy person yet. I love walking Dan the five blocks to work and having two cars pass us in rush hour. I love Dan coming home for lunch. I love mountain biking from my door. I love the sense of community. I love that the average speed is 21 mph, even in a 35 mph zone. I love. . . I could go on and on.

The pace of life has slowed down for us and we welcome that change. We are in the honeymoon phase of this lifestyle morph. All the rosiness might wear off as time passes, especially when winter hits. The two mountain passes were closed ten times last winter, blocking off the town from the world. One thing that Dan misses is a place to open up and let his car fly and some clover leaf on-ramps for corner hugs. I dislike having a Walmart nearby. This might sound shocking to those who heard me say before moving here, "At least they have a Walmart." The area surrounding Walmart feels busy and worldly. I'd rather shop at the multiple Mom and Pop shops around town.

Its been nice loosening the apron strings a bit. The kids have free reign to walk or bike wherever in town. I make them take a cell phone to keep in touch. Sometimes I make myself stay home instead of frolicking with them for the few remaining days of summer. I believe they need time to experience and explore childhood without their mother hoovering about to grant or deny permission. I feel much more comfortable doing that here than Richmond.

Last week my nephew Devon visited from Utah. He is such a good kid. If all young men were like him Satan would be pretty frustrated and God's work would get a big push forward. It was great to go camping, tour Pendleton Woolen Mills Factory and basically just enjoy him.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heather,
I just had a chance to catch up on your blog and your new home and town seem lovely. How cool for your kids to experience so much freedom!
Now that we're moving I'm counting on you to plan that girls get away even more! I need my buddies!.
Shelley

Anonymous said...

Heather, Pendelton is one of my favorite places in Oregon, other than the coast. I am really glad you are liking it there!