
Seven years ago we lived in a town nestled in the Blue Ridge Mountains in South Eastern Virginia. Though we lived this small community for just a year we truly love the area and it's people,considering it home in way. Coming from the Washington D.C. area, we thought this cute little town of 80,000,(county 150,000), was almost rural living for us. La Grande, Oregon is going to be a major change for us with it's population of 13,000, (27,000 county), being the largest city for within a two hour drive.
Last Friday we drove the two hours to Roanoke for an over due visit. We stayed with some of our dearest friends in the world, the Farleys. Pat and Harry are some of the most down-to-earth, independant, Christ-like, good humored, industrious people I know. If I measure up halfway to their examplary stature I'd consider my self doing well with myself, man and God. Talking with them always makes me inspires me to strive to be a better person and worker.
We first met the Farleys at church and became instant friends. I really mean that "instant friends" part. Instantly I knew I had a confidant, gab partner, source for help and a friend for life in Pat. I do not know if I ever felt that kindred connection with someone so quickly. We both say that we must have been friends in the world before this. It is also wonderful that separation and time does not fade that friendship.
Joshi and Zayne love he Farleys dearly and were excited to see them. The kids enjoyed swimming in the pool that Harry built for Pat, wondering around on the farm and reconnecting with their granddaughter, Allysa. Farmer Harry and Sister Farley have been second grandparents to my children. They were so thoughful and planned a a little surprise Birthday party for Zayne with an Indiana Jones cake. They have this family tradition of the birthday person taking a big bite out of the cake with no utinsels or hands. I loved it! This might be the start of a new Kirkham tradition.
We also stopped by the Chris and Andrea Stuart's house, our neighbors there. They were such good people and neighbors. Their daughter Hunter was Joshi's good friend so it was nice to see the girls together again. I wanted to talk with them much longer as so with old friends at church. I could have spent a whole day with the Wassums. The good thing about moving a lot is that we get to make more friends than we would have stuck in our comfortable little niche in Utah, but onbiviuosly, the flip side to that is that we miss them after leaving.

No comments:
Post a Comment